Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Today was the first day I’ve seen rain in Cape Town - just enough drizzle to make me pull out my crinkled rain jacket from the suitcase under my bed before I walked to class this morning. It’s Tuesday afternoon right now and after having class from eight until eleven I have a break and then am going to my first day of volunteering for four hours this evening. This afternoon is just a meet and great but it’s exciting to know that this whole service project is getting underway.

Anyways, before I forget I need to debrief this weekend because it already seems like a long time ago, and if I don’t write about it now than I never will. Friday night, the eve of my friends 21st, a few girls made reservations at the Nelson Mandela Hotel restaurant which was beyond extravagant. It’s one of those places that serves a mini complementary pallet cleanser hors d'oeuvre (a little plop of beef which I didn’t touch), and a sorbet cleanser (that I couldn’t help wanting more of!) between the appetizer and the main meal. When we sat down the waiter even placed my napkin on my lap for me! It took us all a couple minutes to get over the shock of excessiveness, but 21 birthdays are special, and we decided to embrace it. My meal was delish and our splurge seemed acceptable for a rare night.

On Saturday I felt more American than I had in a while. My friend had a joint day birthday party outside there house which consisted of typical American games that included ping pong palls and red plastic cups. We took pictures, played music and grilled – a slice of American college life that made us all feel a bit more at home. As Saturday was the eve of Valentines day, the guests of the day party migrated to a night Valentines themes party equpted with heart shaped cookies and pink beverages. However, I was exhausted and decided to call it a night before the party really started going. Sunday was going to be a big day.

Earlier on Saturday word had spread that some people wanted to hike table mountain the next morning and I was completely sold. As 8am rolled around and my roommates were still sound asleep I hopped out of bed, checked the weather and began texting my friends about our departure time. After paying the cab driver a seemingly lofty fair, five of us were at the trail head by 10am. In the end only 3 of us decided to take on the entire hike, but even though the trail was steep the idea of finishing with a view at the top motivated me forward. Every step I inhaled hot air and sweat gathered on my back. The cloudless sky, although beautiful, made relief from the hot sun a rare commodity, but we occasionally found bits of shade by the rocky ledges. By the end, my calves swelled from the steep climb and my neck had started to burn. However everything was worth it at the top. We had conquered the mountain and looked down, across, back and out at a myriad of outstanding views. I could see the city below and ocean lined with mountains on the opposite side. We walked around the flat top and up to the touristy visitors center. Because of the 80 rand charge and the line by the gondola though, we opted to take the trail back down.

After the hike we bartered for a taxi to Camps Bay, got much needed lunch and plopped ourselves on the sandy beach just as high tide set in. Sunday evening my eyes started drooping around 9 and I was in bed by 10. All in all a great weekend.

Until next time,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment