Monday, January 25, 2010

Hello anyone out there who is listening - mostly my mom I'm sure. Anyways this past week has been an absolute world wind of no sleep, meeting people, traveling places and getting acclimated to Cape Town. Right now I am sitting in my double room (yes I got the last lottery pick for rooming yet again...) So excited to have internet. I'm basically unpacked, and this place is gradually starting to feel like home.
Last night my new friends and I went out to dinner in Camps Bay. Pictures don't do this place justice. Rocky mountains collide with white beaches and and crashing waves, creating this mystical salty mist that makes this place seem a bit imaginary. As our taxi took sharp turns down the hill that leads to the Bay I couldn't help wondering if people ever get over the beauty of this place. Later that night we met up with new South African friends at a popular Sunday night hot spot (who would have thought those exist!).
Today, after my first real deep sleep I awoke late and made breakfast with my new grocery in my new kitchen and ate outside on our new patio. After doing a few much needed errands, a few of my friends decided to venture into Cape Town and check out a few markets. Walking down long street felt oddly familiar, as I had been there 5 and 10 years prior. A mix leather, body oder and paint fumes clouded the indoor market, and while I only bought a key chain for 7 rand and cheap sunglasses for 65 rand (I bargained for both) I know I will return there. Stand owners yelling, "closing price, for you" made my friends and I smile while we got used to this strange bartering culture.
Tonight I made dinner (stir fry, pasta and salad) with friends and sipped wine while laughing about common friends, stories of the week and nightly adventures. And as I walked back with my housemate, unlocking 4 different gates and doors to get in I started to feel like this was becoming a little bit more like home.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for writing (mostly for me...)! Love hearing the descriptions - can almost see stuff. Can you post photos for that complete picture thing? Just got a sweet package from Luke's parents: a note pad with our holiday card photo - so thoughtful! Keep writing, blogger!
    Love you so much,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete